This drink is valuable for its medicinal qualities and as a digestive aid.
EQUIPMENT: 2 quart glass container with tightly fitting lid
INGREDIENTS: 3 large organic beetroot, peeled and chopped up coarsely 4 1/2 tsp sea salt Filtered water 2 capsules of probiotic (culturelle)
1. Place beetroot, probiotic and salt in a 2-quart glass container.
2. Add filtered water to fill the container to an inch or two below the top of the jar. Stir well and cover securely.
3. Keep at room temperature for 2 to 3 days before transferring to refrigerator.
4. When most of liquid has been drunk, you may fill up the container with water and keep at room temperature another 2 days. The resulting brew will be slightly less strong than the first. After the second brew, discard the beets and start again. You may, however, reserve some of the liquid and use this as your inoculant instead of the whey.
5. Note: Do not use grated beetroot in the preparation of beet tonic. When grated, beets exude too much juice resulting in a too rapid fermentation that favors the production of alcohol rather than lactic acid.